Travelling is like breathing for those who love to explore new places. A person cannot discover new oceans until he has the nerve to lose the sight of the shore. Traveling is a regularly a fun activity yet it can frequently be exhausting for those with hearing impairment and hearing aid machine.
As per National Institutes of Health, out of each 1000 man with hearing difficulty, no less than 182.5 individuals wear hearing machine. Traveling can be very challenging for hearing impaired individuals, yet that is no reason to pass up a great opportunity of exploring new areas.
You may travel by car, train, bus or plane. We need to check a few fundamentals from our backpacks such as extra batteries, power charger, and ear assurance. Also, working on a backup plan is always a good idea for an emergency. One can also opt for travel assistance for a better experience. One should never feel cautious before asking for any kind of help as you might face a lot of problems while traveling. There are some common problems which you should be aware of.
Common Problems While Travelling
- A problem in making travel reservations.
- Difficulty in understand or respond to fight boarding or its announcements.
- Difficulty in attending room phones, warning signals or listening knocking on hotel doors.
- Inability to hear or perceive booked events, such as visiting live exhibitions, galleries or beaches and many more.
- A problem in communication due to lack of sign language interpreters for hearing impaired people.
Before planning for traveling you should consider few tips –
- Check your stuff – Check your backpack twice. Do carry a cleaning kit and a water-resistant travel case. Don’t forget to bring extra hearing aid machine with batteries.
- Consult an audiologist – Before starting the journey, go for a checkup with your audiologist. Do ensure your hearing device is fit for traveling. At your stay get some information about assistive listening gadgets.
- Reservations – Recheck your essential tickets and messages. Before booking any place, get some information about better-hearing facilities or ADA kits.
- Print out essential documents – It is very important to take print out of the tickets before leaving for the journey. That way in case you’ve gotten in a difficult situation with a sudden change in traveling plan and need to speak with somebody who doesn’t comprehend sign language, then you can demonstrate to them the printed copy.
Tips for a stress-free traveling for a hearing impaired individual
- If you wear a hearing machine, make room for additional hearing aid batteries and tubing. These might be hard to get in a few places.
- There are numerous traveling facilities for hearing impaired individual. So before making any kind of booking, make everything clear with your traveling agent, who spends significant time in working with hearing impaired individuals.
- Pick a place very carefully. Check about the various activities accessible at that place. Indeed, even check its pollution level, population, average traffic, and nightlife.
- Make a do’s and don’ts list. What’s more, check your bag twice before leaving for traveling. Check for hearing machine, charger, batteries, ticket and so on. In the event that your going for a long visit at that point take some extra hearing aid machine with you.
- Carry your hearing aid properly. Put your hearing aid machine in a protected spot during the evening due to changing atmospheric conditions. Additionally, take some extra hearing aid batteries.
- Do carry a dehumidifier for drying your hearing device every night for prevention of moisture, particularly if your surrounding has a warm, muggy atmosphere.
- For prevention, avoid storing your hearing device in handled baggage. Keep an additional arrangement of batteries in a different bit of baggage to prevent any kind of loss situation.
- When you begin traveling to different places then make sure to clean your portable hearing aid device. In case a few microscopic organisms have assembled in your machine.
- Ask for help from flight attendant you have hearing loss so they can attend you in a comfortable way. Ask somebody to help you to understand announcement or utilize the alarm clock for help.
- Try not to be reluctant to request help from fellow passengers, most of them will offer assistance.
Devices and Resources available for help
- Most of the traveling agencies or airlines arrange Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD) individuals to help travelers.
- Hand-held individual communication devices such as phones and cell phones. These devices help in sending and receiving instant messages without the need to go for public help. Ask your traveling agent or check your reservation site to check whether this facility is accessible.
- Induction couplers and telephone amplifiers can easily join to hotel phone. It also helps in amplifying the volume of the phone. Induction couplers likewise make the phone good with your portable hearing device telecoil. Phone manufacturers create handsets, for example, the G6 and G66, which connect very conveniently to any particular phone. Utilizing your own particular perfect phone, in any case, wipes out these issues.
- FM listening systems offer direct amplification in larger surrounding using radio frequency. They also help the hearing impaired individual to understand lectures, seminars or meetings. Therefore, the speaker manages the transmitter microphone and then broadcast the presentation to the receiver over the radio waves.
- There are very small in size visual alert system. With the help of this system, the flashlight gets on immediately after receiving any kind of fire alarm sound telephone ring. These can be transported and effectively introduced in hotel rooms.
- Portable TV band radios can be tuned to good TV channels and tuned in to through a headphone.
- Portable wake-up alarm can be utilized for using a flashlight at night. A smartphone can also be used in place of an alarm.
- Portable infrared system can also be used with hotel radios and Television. These transmit sound through invisible infrared light to a listener is receiver.
There are many other devices or resources for hearing loss individual. Try considering these tips before making any traveling plan. Planning ahead and informing your traveling agent about your traveling needs will result in an ultimate traveling experience.