Chennai, the 329 years old south Indian city, is the current capital of State- Tamil Naidu. Formerly known as Madras, Chennai is both an orthodox and a modern cosmopolitan city of India. Chennai has always attracted tourists and travelers since ages because of its beauty, ancient scriptures, wide colorful culture, traditional arts, music, dance, and festivals. In this article, we have covered different mind-blowing reasons that will definitely make you pack your bags and travel to Chennai.
- Climate: Chennai has tropical and pleasant weather all over the year. The residents mainly experience two seasons – summers and monsoons. There is NO WINTER Season here. This is because the city is situated on Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal and has the second longest beachfront of any municipality in the world.
- Culture: Chennai is one of the most growing cities in the world but the locals believe to preserve the culture of the place. Although the young generation has adapted western looks, still you will be amazed to see the natives in Traditional Tamil attires You will love the combination of western and classical music along with traditional art and dance – Bharatnatyam.
- 3. Lively Beach: Marina Beach is the longest Indian beach and ranks at 2nd in the world. Don’t miss to live the breathtaking scenes of sunrises and sunsets here. We are pretty sure that you will be excited to see the pristine beauty, jolly ambiance, and rich ecosystems. The beach is popular for its shops and food stalls that will make your mouth water at first sight. The beach features many historical monuments and statues that add beauty to the place. Another beach, popularly known as night beach to youngsters is Edward Elliot’s beach. If you are a night owl and loves to wanders at night, this place is for you.
- Yummy Food and Coffee: Chennai is a hub for South Indian food lovers and vendors. You can taste different flavors of delicious dosas, idlis, and sambhar with non-vegetarian, coastal delicacies and biryanis. Whether you visit a local food shop or a famous restaurant, you will be served world’s best south Indian food. We can guarantee that you would have never tasted such strong and fresh coffees in your entire life. There are tremendous varieties of coffee available and the large menu widens the smile on faces of coffee lovers. The only struggle is to decide the best coffee with snacks.
- Famous tourist spots: There are numerous tourist places in Chennai including the beaches. We have divided them into categories so that you have a better idea where to travel to
a. Religious Places: The most recommended place is Mylapore, which is often referred to as the soul of the city and has many beautiful temples that soothe your soul. The most famous temple here is Kapaleeswarar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva. Other Pilgrimages are Thousand Lights Mosque, Little Mount and St.Thomas Mount, Wallajah Mosque (the big Mosque), Kanchipuram, Vadapalani Murugan Temple, Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Santhome Basilica Church etc.
b. Main shops and Markets: Shopaholics must visit George Town Markets and Bazaars & chaotic T. Nagar. You can buy anything right from spices to vegetables and fruits & clothes to gold.
c. Historic Monuments and buildings: The other attraction of the city is Vivekananda House (Vivekananda Illam), more than 150 years old distinctive Victorian-style building. Kanchipuram or Kanchi is one of the most famous pilgrimage as well as heritage sites in Tamil Nadu. Other historic places involves Fort St.George was built in 1644 by the East India Company to store and trade spice. Currently, the Tamil Nadu State Legislative assembly operates her. Rippon Building that is recently renovated to preserve its heritage was originally built in 1913 for housing of office of Madras Corporation. A must visit places are Valluvar Kottam is a landmark monument is dedicated to famous Poet Thiruvalluvar and Madras War Cemetery Which is a memorial place built in tribute to soldiers who died in World War II. There are no real dead bodies buried but only the last resting place with the name of soldiers.
d. Amusement parks: There are various amusement parks that attract locals and tourists all days of the year. The famous ones are the amusement park at VGP Golden Beach, The Queen’s Land and MGM Dizzy World.
6. Transportation: Chennai is a metropolitan city and have inexpensive modes of transportation. Railway lines and Proper roads link the city with other parts of India. If you are travelling from USA, you can get direct Flights from USA to Chennai. You can do online booking of flight tickets that are inexpensive and suits your budget. You can contact different online or offline tour and travels companies that have team of professionals that make arrangements for your overseas stay.